A Pyramid Skylight Retrofit Will Provide Improved Daylighting
The Chase Bank building in Loveland, CO has four low-rise pyramid skylights. The bank has experienced problems with these skylights over the years. Gaskets failing, condensation problems, and popping noises were a just few of the constant problems.
The biggest complaint, however, was the quality of the light and the heat from the sun. The light the skylights were projecting into the building was the number one complaint over the years. The longer the acrylic panels were in place the worse the yellowing of the light and the unbearable heat gain, especially on the second floor.
Going up to the second floor was like being an ant under a magnifying glass in the summer.
We discussed with the contractor and building owner the combinations of colors we could use to gain the control they were looking for. It was decided to use a blue polycarbonate outer layer with an interior layer of Ice White Matte. The Ice White Matte allows the light to be dispersed evenly across and down from each skylight.
A Daylighting Comparison: Yellowed Fiberglass vs. Translucent Polycarbonate
As you can see from the pictures above the new skylights have a much better light spectrum. It disperses a true translucent light as designed by the skylight manufacturer. Once Skylight Specialists had removed and installed one skylight, a crowd formed to watch the color change from a dingy yellow light to soft blueish hue. The building owner and the contractor were thrilled with the finished product. Before our installation crew had completed the project, the owner requested budget pricing to replace a similar fiberglass single slope skylight with the same product.
- Removed failed acrylic skylights.
- Inspected and modified existing curbs.
- Installed new extruded aluminum framing.
- Installed 2 ¾” Quadwall® polycarbonate panels.
- Installed cap to aluminum.
- Sealed with structural sealant.
- Cleaned work area of all debris.
- Policed area for debris adjacent to work area.
- (4) EA. DIRECT2FAB 16′ X 16′ CPI QUADWALL® PYRAMID SKYLIGHT UNITS.
- Blue over Ice White Matte Pentaglas Panels.
- Direct2Fab (formerly Fastrak) is a fast delivery program for custom sized skylights from CPI Daylighting. Each D2F project moves directly from order entry to the fabrication floor— eliminating weeks of engineering and submittal time.
- Improved thermal dynamics of the building.
- Increased light transmittance.
- Increased solar heat gain control.
- Correct the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- Reduce dependence on electric lighting—increase energy savings.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylights.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase productivity.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.